Ready In :
For the khandvi batter:
- 1 cup besan(gram flour)
- ¾ yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger-green chilies
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt as required
- a pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 green chili
- Take the yogurt in a bowl. add water and stir well till smooth.
- Add ginger-green chili paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt.
- Add the besan(gram flour). With a whisk, keep on stirring and mixing till all the lumps are dissolved and you get a smooth batter. There should be no lumps in the batter. You can also use a hand held beater to mix the batter.
- Spread oil on plates or boards or tray. large steel lids or thalis work very well. You can also use the back of a large baking tray or your kitchen counter top.
- Also mix the chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut. keep aside.
- Pour the batter in a sauce pan or a broad frying pan. switch on the stove top and keep the flame to the lowest. Begin to stir.
- Keep on stirring when the khandvi batter is getting heated up. lumps begin to form and you have to continuously stir so that the lumps don't form.
- The batter would thicken and keep on thickening. keep on stirring. best to use a wooden spatula.
- The batter also should not be allowed to stick at the bottom. so you have to stir continuously.
- Do a plate test when the batter has thickened well.
- Spread a few teaspoons of the batter on a greased plate. Let it cool a bit and then begin to roll. If you are unable to roll, then the batter needs to be cooked more.
- Quickly pour about ½ to ⅔ cup of batter on a large plate and spread thinly & evenly with a spatula. you have to be quick with the remaining batter too. since even a bit of cooling and the batter becomes likes blob, difficult to spread.
- Allow to cool and then sprinkle the coconut and coriander leaves mixture sparingly. you can also skip this stuffing part and directly garnish with the coconut and coriander once you temper the khandvi rolls.
- Cut into equal sized strips.
- Gently roll each strip tightly. Then place them in a serving tray or plate
- Heat oil and crackle the mustard seeds.
- Then add curry leaves, green chilies and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sesame seeds and when they change color & crackle, pour the hot tempering mixture along with the oil on the khandvi rolls evenly.
- Serve khandvi with coriander chutney or coriander mint chutney and Enjoy!!.